What is ransomware?
Ransomware is a type of cyber attack that employs encrypting technology to ‘lock down your computer system, rendering it unusable.
These types of attacks require several steps to complete the entire attack chain.
1. The attack begins with a phishing campaign directed against you or your organization. A series of emails are sent to the organization’s employees to attempt to trick them into providing their credentials to their systems. These emails come as very well-constructed emails that look like official emails that redirect employees to a bogus website asking them to log in.
2. Once you have been tricked, the malicious actor navigates to the website, enters your credentials, and has now penetrated the computer system.
3. Once access has been established the malicious actors gather INTEL on work processes, location of critical data, and any weaknesses present in the computer system.
4. Once the INTEL gathering has been completed, they will exfiltrate any data and information that has been deemed critical. After the exfiltration, they will launch the ransomware attack and lockdown your computer systems.
5. Upon locking down all endpoints, usually, a ransomware notification is given to you requesting money for access to your data.
At this point, your operations are paralyzed and your business losing revenue and productivity.
You now have two options. You can pay the ransom, which is not recommended. Or you can restore your systems from your backups. The recovery process is long, painful, and costly.
Also, if your computer systems were not architected using best practices, there is a good chance that your backups may also have been affected.
This is not good.
Situations like this call for a new technology, that allows you to recover your data knowing that it has not been tampered with and has a ledger of activity that is infallible.
BlocSec brings a blockchain-backed data archiving and recovery system that prevents attackers from gaining useful access to recovery data and ensures that the integrity of the data you recover is guaranteed.